2017-18 brings another year of major change in HE with the Office for Students and its designated quality body due to launch in the New Year, a revised UK Quality Code and TEF specification, and ongoing debates about academic standards, grade inflation and the role of external examiners. In the meantime, student engagement and consumer protection remain high on institutions’ agendas. The 2017 NUCCAT Conference ‘Delivering Quality at a Time of Change’ and AGM will be held on Thursday 30th November 2017 at the Manchester Conference Centre with contributions from academic managers, policymakers and practitioners including Professor Chris Husbands, Vice-Chancellor of Sheffield Hallam University and Chair of the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework. A programme and booking form for the event are attached.
The NUCCAT Annual Conference 2016 and AGM took place on Thursday 24th November 2016 at Manchester Conference Centre.
The theme was ‘Managing Curriculum Change in a Consumer-Driven University Sector’ and included presentations from:
- HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England) – Scott Court presented ‘New Arrangements for Quality Assessment’.
- Eversheds Solicitors – Sian Jones-Davies presented ‘Understanding the Consumer Law Landscape’.
- University of Kingston – Michelle Morgan presented ‘The Employability Expectations of Applicants, Students and Employers at Master’s Level’.
- Edge Hill University – Anthony Turjansky presented ‘European Frameworks and European Standards and Guidelines’.
- Universities UK – Sam Roseveare presented ‘Degree Algorithms’.
- QAA – Simon Bullock presented ‘What the QAA is doing to stamp out essay mills’.
- Sheffield Hallam University – Conor Moss presented ‘Higher and Degree Apprenticeships – Early Observations and Key Learning’.
- Sheffield Hallam University – Graham Holden presented ‘Digital Learning and Teaching Excellence: Unlocking the Potential of Digital Technologies’.
- Sheffield Hallam University – Elaine Buckley presented ‘Recognition of Prior Learning Re-thought’.
- HEA (Higher Education Academy) – Erica Morris presented ‘External Examining Project: Enhancing Professional Development and Exploring Calibration Methods’.
- University of Manchester – Jane Hardman presented ‘Supporting Progression to and Success in Master’s Study’.
- University of Kingston – Michelle Morgan presented ‘The Postgraduate Experience Project’.